This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

10 November 2009





We took our first big family outing today! We got on a bus and went downtown to a shopping mall. We had hamburgers and ice cream and bought some Portuguese DVD's to watch as a family. We found a store called Lojas Americanas (American Stores) that had a big shelf full of the latest Disney Pixar films and a bunch of other cartoons and family-friendly movies. Only $12-15 Reais (pronounced hay-ICE) a piece. It was an adventure to get each child to only pick 2 movies. We told them to pick two, and before we knew it there were armfuls and basketfuls and piles all over the floor. In the end, we walked out of there with 14 videos plus an extra which we are wrapping up as a birthday present for Luana in a couple weeks. We watched Alvin and the Chipmunks this evening after dinner. It was peaceful and calm for almost half the movie until Brayan started to make a fort out of sofa cushions and then everyone decided to join in. This is why team design projects don't always work out so well. So many designers tend to get in each other's way. Even so, Dad was proud of baby's first building design.

Another US family arrived at the hotel today after being united with their 5 children. 4 boys, 1 girl, ages 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8. Looks like we'll have some company in this boat we're in. I'm sure that will be nice for all of us when the waters get rough.

Here are a few close-ups from today. We're gathering anecdotes and after another week or so, we're going to start to write a page about each of our filhos, one day at a time. We discovered today that they have nicknames for each other. Maynara is Nana, Lucas is Cuca, Luana is Nega, and Brayan is Bayo. Sweetness.

Here's a little video of our trip to the food court at Shopping Mueller today.

5 comments:

Sherry Austin said...

Hurry up with that video! You think I got all night!

I can't wait to read each thing about each youngun. This is just great. I look forward to this ever night as I sit in my old rocker with my back stove up and my quilt over my feet that stay froze up like a block of ice. I bet old people don't have that problem in Brazil.

Hey to the younguns! I'll be checkin' in for the video. Don't get so busy with those kids you neglect to keep me entertained.

Sherry Austin said...

Is it too early to start poppin' the corn?

The Princess said...

I have checked this blog every 15 minutes all day long, hungry for news about all of you. I know you really have your hands full, but I treasure every word that tells me what is going on. I spend half of my days just dreaming of December 21, 6:15 a.m., JFK, when I can hug you and James again and see my grandchildren in person for the first time.

Amor,
Vovo

Sherry Austin said...

Vovo, you tryin' to shove me aside here or what? Why don't you get busy and write up what all you're doin' to get ready for this cataclysmic event? I want the details, dangit!

Sherry Austin said...

And, hey, you! Vovo! How come you don't put up a dang picture??? The younguns are goin' a think I'M VOVO! Heh heh!