This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Best Friends (for a while)

We're at that place again where documents are a large part of our lives.  Documents come to us, they get notarized they travel out again to get Apostille Certified, they arrive at our home, the go back out again to the Brazilian Consulate in NYC to be legalized, (I just found out about that last layer of legalization!) and when they return home to us again we photocopy everything and send them off to Brazil to be translated.  That's a lot of traveling!  

Whenever I drop off a courier envelope (like the I-800A application we sent to USCIS on Friday), I feel as though it takes great faith in the courier service to release that important package--so much rides on those pieces of paper.  I remind myself every time I hand over an envelope or drop a package in a mail slot that I am not releasing control... because I am not IN control.  As much as sometimes I wish I were able to control every part of this process, I am glad it's up to God and not me (or the courier service).  It's hard to let go, and nothing reminds me of that more than when I loosen my tight little grip on an envelope full of documents that carry the weight of our family and hand them to the worker behind the counter at the Post Office.  

Lord, thank you for being in control of our family.  You will build a family that is far better than I could ever dream on my own.  I pray that we will bring you glory during this process and as a family.  Keep your hands on our documents as they travel from desk to desk, and whisper in the ear of each one who touches them so that they know you are there.  Lord, we want to see you glorified each step of the way.  Thank you for using us.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I have definite control issues and I never cease to be amazed by how issues of family and children really challenge that in me. The process of having a child, raising a child, etc have all really shown me in new ways that I am not in control! :)