This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Learning Portuguese

One of the things we are doing to prepare ourselves for parenthood is learning our children's language.  (Should help to make things a little easier at home, don't you think?)  Knowing Spanish has been a big advantage so far in my studies, but I will not get by just leaning on my Spanish.  

Rosetta Stone has been a great fit for us and I've been impressed with the way the lessons are structured to give little bits of language at a time, but in a way that is usable.  Being able to form sentences and express thoughts in a new language builds confidence and motivation.  I'm having so much fun!  However, even when it gets hard or repetitive, or when I get tired, learning Portuguese has been a great way to keep focused on my children and the miracles God keeps working to bring them home to us.  This exercise feels like a very concrete and very practical way to get myself ready to be a mom.

The last lesson I did taught family words:  mãe, pai, irmao, irmã, te amo, amigo, casa (mom, dad, brother, sister, I love you, friend, house).  I also found this list of Portuguese phrases for new adoptive parents, this online Portuguese-English-Portuguese Dictionary.  

Very practical indeed.