This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Big Picture--Romans 5:17

I've been sensing some urgency to get it together lately.  Thinking about our children coming home is a joyful thought, but it also shines light on all the areas of my life that are not the kind of model I want to be for my children.  God's using this waiting time to refine us in a lot of ways.  I've been making an effort to spend more time in His Word, and He has been blessing me there.  Most recently, I came to Romans 5:17.  

For if, by the trespass of one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

I've been focusing so much on God's specific provision for me personally in this instant in my life that I almost took my eyes off of His "abundant provision of grace and the gift of RIGHTEOUSNESS" in Jesus Christ!  The reason that God is able to give me grace in the little things (like finances, or circumstances, or particular blessings like that) is that He has already given the extravagant gift of righteousness through Christ.  Because of Christ, when God looks at me, he doesn't see (and in His justice have to punish) the sin-sick mess that I am.  He sees (and rewards) the perfection of Christ.  And He offers the same to our kids, and the people who are caring for them right now, and each person who handles our dossier documents, and anyone who might happen to read this blog.  

Who could be grumpy about "paperchasing" with a big picture like that?