This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Monday, October 12, 2009

In My Dreams

Though I did not actually see any of them in my dream, I dreamed about my kids the other night. But whether they made an appearance or not, it was clear that they were the central characters and the main people of importance. Such is the story of my life when I am awake these days that I guess it is not surprising they have seeped into my unconsciousness!

In the spirit of 21st century digital communication between continents through satellites, in my dream I was getting ready to travel to the International Space Station to receive a bit of adoption-related information transmitted up from Brazil and then personally retransmit it down to the appropriate party in the United States. Although I was never really clear on what the information was, it was quite evident that it was critical to this adoption process, and I absolutely knew for sure I would be leaving on Tuesday! (Perhaps that has something to do with my flying to Calgary on business this Tuesday.)

It is not a general habit of mine to remember any of my dreams, and this is only the second time since finding out about our kids in March that I have any sort of dream memory about them. (In the one other flash of a dream I have in my memory, I was playing soccer with Abraao Lucas as he laughed and laughed at my Portuguese. Not in a make-fun-of-way, but in a smiling, 7-year old filled with a joy for life way. It was really quite a beautiful moment.) As with all dreams, it felt so incredibly real in the moment, and it was clear to me that I would do anything for my children. I would wait for them, fight for them, do anything to get them--I would take a trip to outer space if it meant having them home.

Sometimes I wish I dreamed about my kids more often. Who knows the number of times I have gone to bed looking at their pictures or thinking about them, hoping for such a result. But it doesn't really worry me that I don't. After all, I daydream about them so much that perhaps my subconscious needs a rest to think about something else at night!

Although waiting "a few more weeks" always seems like an eternity in the moment, in view of a lifetime, it is so small. I know in my heart that we will meet them soon, and that in God's perfect timing, all our dreams, and more, will come true.

No comments: