This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Monday, September 22, 2008

It's Official--Update

The rest of our documents arrived Legalized from the Consulate in NYC.  In order to see if our translator has time to get started on our documents right away, I need to scan them and send them to AWAA.  The super-smart copier at church made short work of scanning all 49 pages off our dossier that will make a few more inbox stops before it lands at the translator's desk.  We're hoping her schedule is free enough to get a jump on translating our mountain of documents.

In that same sprit of translation, I shall attempt to translate the Consulate's Legalization statement which is affixed to each and every one of our documents! 
Armed with three and a half units of Rosetta Stone completed, I think this is what it says:

Recognized as true, by appearance, the signature, on this document, of Susan Bysiewicz, Secretary of the State of Connecticut, United States of America.  And,  wah, wah, wah, I sign and fix this Consulate's seal.  It is legalized by the signature of the consular authority, according to article 2 of Decree number 84,451, of January 31, 1980.  The legalization of this document does not imply the acceptance or approval of its contents.

And armed with 2 years of hands-on learning in the field of international adoption lingo and processes, this is what I think it means:

By the power vested in me, I declare that this document is officially usable in Brazilian courts and I agree that all its previous seals are legit.  Brazilian judges will decide what to do with it once it lands on their desk.

Now we must continue to pray that God will follow these documents with His mighty hands and speak to the hearts of those who process them.  We must pray for favor in the eyes of the US and Brazilian governments.  And I continue to pray for miraculous swiftness in all the transactions that remain so that our children will arrive in our arms at exactly the right moment (which, if you ask me, would be sometime around Christmas this year).  God is Mighty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my professional legal opinion (which includes absolutely no knowledge of international adoption law and even less about Portuguese), I agree with your assessment of the language.

Congrats on getting one step closer! -B

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kim! I had no idea that you guys were in the middle of adoption. How exciting and stressful and BIG! I'm going to bookmark your blog and drop by from time to time to see how things go.

I'll never forget how kind you were to me after I had my first baby. I have two now!