This is the place where we are have documented the road we have walked in order to adopt our four children from Brazil and the road we are now on as a family. We are keenly aware that adopting is not just a process we've chosen to go through, but part of God's plan for us and for our children. May He be glorified through the process and through our family!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Being Present, Savoring, Investing

A few weeks ago, I had a great talk witha friend about "being here now."  It sure is funny how, no matter where we are, we always dream of being somewhere new... or somewhere old.  What if I had chosen this or that?  What if X hadn't happened?  What if I had accomplished Y?  If only I felt happier or safer or braver.  If only my prayers had been answered.  All of this worry takes our eyes off of the beauty of the present moment, and I think that no matter how frustrating, scary, stressful or unexpected now is, it has got to have some beauty built into it.  Even if it's something little (although, I think the beauty is always bigger than we think it will be).  It's probably always best to "be here now."

It's not as easy as it sounds, this being here now, but I'm working on it.  I've decided that after this long wait to be united with my children is over, I am going to eliminate grumbling and complaining from my vocabulary and do my best to be 100% present, invest 100%, and savor every moment to the fullest.  I know I'll be in a tailspin of new-ness and probably overwhelmed with the responsibility and day-to-day stuff of parenting 4 children, but I'm determined to focus on filling up their hearts with all the love and encouragement and confidence and self-esteem and skills and Jesus that they need to be whole people in this broken and unpredictable world.  We don't have any time to waste.

So, maybe my house will get messy.  And maybe we'll be late getting to places.  And maybe my children will show up in public with clothes that don't match sometimes.  But, those dear hearts of those will matter more than anything else to us.  We will laugh and take pictures and listen to one another.  We will cling so tightly to each other that there will be no room for gloom to sneak its way in--even on the sad and difficult days.  We will notice and talk and play and sing and tickle and watch them grow.  And at the end of every full day we will crash into bed and thank the Lord for the blessings we fight for every day.

This is our task.  To be present in every moment.  To savor every moment.  To invest in every moment.  Times 4.  And in the meantime, I'm practicing on my darling husband.  He's such a gift.  I hope he knows it.

2 comments:

Amber said...

What a wonderful reminder for today!

The Beholder said...

Kinda reminds me of Stephen Curtis Chapman's song "Miracle of the Moment," which I know we both love!